Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Birthdays

I am not sure if it is just the common thought or if people really do hate their birthdays because it reminds them that they are getting older. For me, my birthday is a day when I get to remember all the good things that happened in the past year. Yes, sometimes that list is VERY short (not this year) and in those years I always say that my birthday is the new beginning. So, here we go.

Yes, it is my birthday. Yes, I enjoy my birthday. Yes, I had a very good year even though there have been some really rough patches. Today I am 37. In this, my 37th year in life, I experienced some amazing things. While most of the year was spent on the couch per doctor's orders, it was for a very good reason. Today, my son is 4 1/2 months old and that is a miracle in and of itself. Exactly one year ago, I had the blood test to confirm that we were expecting him. It was a wonderful birthday present. So many changes. So many things to reflect upon. All in all - a wonderful year.

I spent a lot of this year daring to dream of new beginnings. How could I not? Of course, the main one was becoming a mother. That has been nothing like I thought it would be. Other new beginnings I have thought about include writing again and perhaps getting paid for it, starting a scrapbooking e-store/retail store, and finally getting better if I can. I am working on each of these goals. I am actually attempting to change my life yet one more time. Another do-over, another beginning.

I was speaking with my cousin yesterday. She turns 30 in just a few months and is not overly excited about the prospect. I told her that whoever said that life ends at 29 was very out dated. Today the 30s are still young, but not so young that you are still naive and careless. Enough of life has been lived to add experience to the mix and to determine what it is you want to be when you grow up. This does not always mean you have the opportunity to move towards that dream, just that you can start to really see what life would be like if the dream came to reality.

So, as my 37th birthday winds to a close I wish every one this. May the coming year be a good one. May you learn or reaffirm your heart's desire and may you start looking towards achieving it.

Happy birthday to me. :-)

1 comment:

j.k.a. said...

Happy birthday all the way from the snowy north!