Thursday, December 14, 2006

Frustration...

As some of you know, I have been waiting to hear back from my employer, the US Postal Service, regarding a reasonable accommodation request that would, if approved, allow me to work part time from home due to my health issues. The other option would be disability retirement so i can focus on getting better over the next several years without having to worry as much about finances and health insurance. Hence, my frustration.

One of the biggest complaints in most HR organizations is that the employee doing the requesting has a tendency to take too long in gathering the information and that is why there are delays. Knowing that was a concern, not just for the ability of the organization to complete tasks quickly and efficiently but also because it would help me enormously to know what my status is so I can work towards accomplishing my tasks - be they work related or health related - with the same amount of dedication I have in the past. Unfortunately, even though the USPS received my documentation within the prescribed amount of time neither my manager nor myself has heard anything!

So, I am frustrated and concerned. I don't want my situation to fall through the cracks of holiday not to be touched again until after January 10th of next year. I want to know that some progress has been made up to this point and this is where we are in the process. I don't think I am asking for much, but perhaps I am. Perhaps this is just the downside of a large organization and the length of time spent on the project directly correlates to a job well done. I just need to be patient I believe. I hope it doesn't take too much longer to at least determine what path to go down next.

This is my next do-over, and I know it. This time I am staring the do-over in the face. This time I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do with it and I am looking forward to it. That's what do-overs are for, right?

No comments: