Monday, May 28, 2007

A Much Needed Break - Vacation!

We just got back from a 3 day sojourn in Virginia Beach, a trip we absolutely needed. Regardless of the fact that it was just three days long, it was our first family vacation and we loved every minute of it. Well - there may have been one or two moments that weren't top of the list, but mostly it was an incredible trip.

Throughout it all, Sammy was a champ. He gamely tried standing in sand and ocean water, very cold Atlantic Ocean water, whole I took as many pictures as I could. I just wanted to make sure I had a picture of his foot disappearing beneath the sand sometime before he turned 1. I now have those pictures. Those of you with children may understand this. I want to celebrate the firsts, not necessarily the standard firsts like first tooth or first haircut. Instead I want to commemorize my son's first concert and the first time he plays in the sand. I got to do that this weekend.

Having a son has taught me that you really can travel back in time. You can experience something you experienced over twenty years agon through the eyes of your child. He played with the sand a little bit, but you can tell it is not his favorite texture. The same for me. You could watch him in the wading pool at the hotel playing with his daddy and I realized that if I hadn't been terrified by water I may have had a chance to learn to swim well. Hopefully my son will enjoy swimming, the water, the ocean just like his parents do.

No comments: