Monday, August 6, 2007

Good Friends

How long does it take to make a good friend? When I was younger, a day or two was all it took. In fact, my best friend and I became good friends via IM when I was bored in a training class. I thought I was IMing someone else at the time - don't worry, she knows. The only thing was I didn't often get to keep those friends. My best friend is an exception and perhaps it is because we became friends via IM that we have managed to keep our friendship alive.

These days, though, it seems like it takes forever to make good friends or to even find people I would want as good friends. I have gotten very lucky. There is a wonderful group of people I have met recently - recently being about a year ago - who have been amazing. They have really been there when I needed help. It isn't often that you find a group of people so willing to just accept that you routinely fall down on the floor and know that all you really need is a few minutes and a cold towel for your neck. Seriously. These women have been so caring and helpful - it isn't something I am used to.

Maybe that's what's wrong. I don't expect people to be helpful and caring. Blame my expectations on my former careers or on my moving around so frequently or even on the fact that both my parents are rather shy and tend not to open up to many people, I don't know. What I do know is that I would prefer to think of the people in my life as friends first and not as strangers. I hope that is a lesson I can teach my son and that I continue to learn.

No comments: