Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Input Requested

There are some people out there who say that if you need to ask for someone else's oppinion, you are not ready to do whatever it is you wish to undertake. I am not sure I agree. Rather, I would like to get some feedback in order to make the decision. I know how I think I'm doing, but I don't know how others see my work. Specifically, my columnesque writing.

One of the therapists who is helping with my illness suggested to me today that I have a lot of wisdom to give through my stories and my writing. She even gave me an outlet - The Washington Post - if I choose to take her up on it. The question I have is am I ready?

Taking the leap to be rejected is a big leap. It is even bigger if the odds of the piece being accepted are more in your favor than normal. I don't mean to say that I will absolutely be accepted, but who knows.

You have been reading my work for the past few months. Some of you are repeat visitors, some of you are new, but I have the same question for all of you. Do you think, based on what you have read, that I could write a sustainable column or series of pieces for the Post?

I am looking forward to hearing what you have to say!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have what it takes. Opportunity knocks, answer swiftly.

liadona said...

Thank you! I am working on a proposal now.

Louisa said...

In my sales job, I expect nine out of ten responses to be No. Even if the Washington Post says no, who's to say you can't try a smaller paper? It doesn't even have to be local. Go for it!