Saturday, September 15, 2007

Autumn

Fall snuck up on the DC area today.  For the first time in months I didn't melt as I walked out our door.  In fact, I went back inside to change from shorts to long pants.
There is something about fall that just makes everything seem new.  I know, I know - it is the time of year when leaves fall from trees and it seems as though everyone is getting ready for a long winter's nap.  But for me, it is also the beginning - maybe even more so than spring.

Fall is the start of the Jewish year, it is the start of all things school, the broadcast TV season, football season and it is the beginning of the multitude of festivals.  There always seems to be a new energy around this town when August is over and the first clip of cold air rushes through.  Vacation is over and it is time to start thinking about work with a rededicated mind and heart.

There are so many ways in which fall is the start of something, yet almost everyone I know who I have spoken about this with considers fall to be the end.  The end of the year, the end of summer, the end of freedom (sorry to all those of you still in school).  But even then, it is a beginning.

May you all have a happy fall.  (And no, I don't think I will be this happy about winter.  There is nothing good about really cold weather unless its a fire and hot chocolate.)

No comments: