Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Fear Marketing

Why is it that everyone who markets to parents think we only want to hear what we are doing wrong, or what we need to do to not be in the wrong? Why is it when I go to the pediatrician with my son all I hear is what I am doing wrong. "He's sleeping incorrectly;" "You aren't in control of your house - your son is;" "He's learning all bad habits;" "You and your husband are definitely not talking because these are the issues we see when that happens."

I wanted to stand there and scream - "YOU ARE HERE TO KEEP MY SON HEALTHY NOT COMMENT ON MY INEPTITUDE!"

I did say "My son is not the one in control of our home - my disease is and while we are working on not making it in control that hasn't happened just yet." That made her sit back a little bit, but she was still after me for things I cannot control or in some cases don't want to change.

Oh, and I really loved "He doesn't have five clear, distinct English words so we need to keep an eye on him for developmental problems." This said completely ignoring the fact that neither my husband nor I spoke in clear English words until we were both over 2 (our son is almost 18 months) and my husband has a PhD and I have worked for some of the best companies in the world in pretty elevated positions - in other words, we are beyond developmentally fine for not having spoken at 18 months.

I think what burns me the most - all of these negative comments were said to me after the doctor's office admittedly lost my appointment after the person who made it two months ago forgot to hit "OK" in the computer system to accept it.

Hmmm - projecting much???

I feel better now.

No comments: