Thursday, May 29, 2008

Mourning


So, the picture of the tree is not great, but it is the last picture of the tree that will ever be taken. This beautiful red oak has been growing for more than 40 years and today it has to come down or it may uproot in the next soaking rain and split our house in two. The roots are bulging, the tree is tilting more than it was a week ago - it needs to come down.

So why is it that the death of this tree that I have only known since February is the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back today? Because for me this is two deaths today. My great-aunt whom I have not been able to see in about 3 or 4 years due to her health and my health died this morning.

So today I mourn. I mourn the death of a tree that gave my house shade and formed the view from the garage. I also mourn the death of a great woman - strong and fierce, loving and kind. She had a tilted smile, a lilting laugh and, at one time, a hunger for life. She was brave in ways that I can only imagine. She didn't go the typical route for a woman of her time. She worked in businesses large and small and loved her granddogs, grandcats and grandhorse. She had no human grandchildren, but she didn't seem to mind. She had me and my sister. She never met my son, but she knew him him pictures.

She was strong and I will miss her.

No comments: