Saturday, June 7, 2008

Be Prepared!

You would think that after all the natural and man-made disasters I have witnessed or experienced from afar that I would know exactly what to do when one hits. I mean - I have the training from both living through them and from being on the first response team for the Headquarters of the US Postal Service. All the hurricanes, earthquakes, serious snow ins and flooding should have prepared me, right?

Right!

This only goes to show you that when Mother Nature is pissed she can pack a whollap and you had better have your generator on hand. What's that? You don't have a generator as part of your house? Hmmm....don't worry, neither did I. Then again, I didn't think that it would take the thousands of employees of the local power company to take more than 2 days to turn on our lights after the tornadoes. (Yes, we can add tornadoes to my list of natural disasters and they rank right up there with earthquakes!)

We live in Northern Virginia. We live less than 5 miles from the head of the company. We live in a rather well off town that has all of its power lines underground. What in the world was the problem? Well - those power lines that live underground are attached to lines and a substation that are all above ground. Yikes!

So - here is my list of things to remember for the next black out, and there is going to be another:

Land line phone that are corded and do not need electricity (have it. Those of you going over IP for phone, make sure your cell phones are charged!!!! And even then they may not work.)

Flashlights with batteries.

Charged laptops.

Shelf Stable milk

Shelf Stable food that doesn't need electricity to heat up.

A working grill.

Snacks for 2 year old

Toys that don't need power for 2 year old

A sheet to cover the damn TV - maybe it will work if he doesn't see it.

and as my best friend has already made sure I heard until my ear came off:

A GENERATOR!

I'm checking to see if they have any solar power ones now. I promised her I would get a new one sooner rather than later.

Here's hoping this is the end of the harsh weather for the rest of the summer!

No comments: