Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Just Yuck!

In a rare double post day - Jenn Lancaster, author of Bitter is the New Black and mistress of the blog Jennsylvania, posted a story about PETA and Ben & Jerry's. This may be an internet rumor that is floating or it may be the real thing. Keep that in mind as you read.

Now - anyone who knows me well knows I have a penchant for really good, chunky ice cream. Give me something to bite into with the cold and I am all happy. My favorite - a toss up between Cherry Garcia, Half Baked and just plain strawberry. So, when I read that PETA wrote to Ben & Jerry themselves and suggested that cow milk be replaced by human breast milk I just about gagged.

Regardless of the fact that human breast milk just does not have the consistency required to make ice cream in general it is not something we can pasteurize, boil, or make safe for general consumption in any way. The manufacturing of breast milk would force women into a situation where they are animals - so PETA has just suggested that we reverse more than 100 years of progress in women's rights just so Ben & Jerry's can use human milk rather than cow's milk.

Hmmmm.

Isn't this the organization that promotes vegetarianism and veganism? Why did they suggest human breast milk and not soy milk? Why substitute one animal (human) for another (cow)?

Maybe it was supposed to be humorous but I think it was just a really gross suggestion.

Oh - and I also think PETA didn't get the memo. Ben & Jerry's was sold to Unilever a few years ago. Not sure Ben or Jerry really have a say in whether or not they can use human breast milk any more anyway.

Again - not sure if this was real or just an internet rumor - either way just YUCK!

No comments: