Monday, December 22, 2008

2008 In Review

As I write this I realize that this has been a year of chaos and change in a lot of ways. We found our new home about 1 year ago and began the scary process of purchasing a home, owning two homes as we first prepared one, moved in and then prepared the other and eventually sold it.

But that's not all that changed.

* Both our jobs went through change this year.
* Our nanny moved in with us over the summer and then stayed on for term.
* We hired a manny for when our nanny is in class. (They're friends so it is easier.)
* DS (darling son) turned 2 and that means A LOT of changes.
* DS started Jr. Preschool this year.

There were a lot more things we discovered this year. For example, we found out that my having any more children naturally would include more than 6 shots a day, one of them blood thinners, bed rest at an earlier point in the pregnancy and even more doctors. In other words - rather than having the freedom most pregnant women have, I would be choosing to be imprisoned just to procreate. Therefore, if we choose to have a second, that second will be found in the cabbage patch - whether that cabbage patch is in Ethiopia, Japan, or somewhere in Europe has yet to be determined. But adoption is our option if we choose to have 2.

There was a lot of other good stuff as well. I just like to get the bad stuff out so I may come across as a pessimist at first - but bear with me!

I finished the first draft of my first novel. Do I think it is going ot get published? That's next year's resolution - get it out there. But yeah, I think its going to get published. And the next one, and the one after that.

I have learned to cherish my oldest friends and through them have met some really amazing people. I am blessed to have all of them in my life.

I learn every day what an amazing person my husband is. This is not necessarily the world he signed up for when he met me, but he has stuck to the "in sickness" part of that statement amazingly well.

As I write this, I realize that we are facing the end of an amazing era. I don't just mean the last four years (and for them I mean amazing as in shaking my head in amazement - but I won't go there right now.) We are facing a time of change, just as we do each 4-years. But this time, the change feels different. It feels energized, real, grass-roots and interested in the world, not just our corner of it.

That change - real or imagined - has prompted a change in the demeanor of almost everyone I've met. Whether they voted for this particular guy or not, they have a bounce in their step when talking about the change that is coming. Not all of them are happy about the change, but most are at the very least resigned to it and willing to throw in when they must.

So, in 2008, I have learned, I have understood my limitations, I have stretched my imagination and I have dared to dream.

Let's hope we all get the chance to do the same in 2009.

No comments: