Monday, December 29, 2008

Post the Positive

As 2008 draws to a close (good riddance! Whoops - did I write that out loud?) I have to say that there is not a year that I can remember wanting to end so badly as I do this one.

Its not that things have been horrible - I only spent a day in the hospital this year as compared to 5 last and 5 the year before that - but it has been oppressing. There was the never-ending news cycles, the never-ending election, the never-ending wars, the never-ending financial drop, the never-ending layoffs, the never-ending everything else - you get the idea - that just made this year seem to drag, all over the craggy rocks at the bottom of the canyon.

But then again, there were some good things that happened this year. In an effort to start climbing up from the bottom, and encouraging news outlets who most probably have never seen this blog to do the same, here are some of the good things that I have noticed this year.

* The election did actually end ON Election Day with a clear winner.
* My son started preschool, and loves it!
* My sister finished her thesis and officially got her graduate degree in Geology. (Go, sis! Far cry from what you started with - and I am hugely proud of you.)
* My cousin finished/is finishing her dissertation and will officially get her PhD in the spring. (Go, cuz!)
* My best friend got married 3 times to the same guy - and I was able to make one of the weddings. (Yay, y'all!!!)
* I reconnected with more than 200 people via Facebook, some of whom I haven't spoken with in 20 years. Who knew the entirety of LBSS class of 1987 used the thing?
* I finally, after decades, finished writing the first draft of my first novel.

This is not all the good that has happened this year. I know I am blessed with opportunities and loving friends and family, and those are good things as well. I know that almost everyone out there has had at least one good thing happen this year so here is my challenge to you. List them here and on your preferred website. Pass them along to your friends - link to this page and let's get the word out to everyone you know.

Let's start 2009 out with a step up.

Post the Positive.

No comments: