Saturday, February 14, 2009

Walking against Breast Cancer

So, the saga of our trip into Apraxia is not over, I know that, but a girl cannot live on Apraxia alone. There are a number of other things to become stressed over - believe me I know that first hand. One of them - breast cancer.

Why would a woman who is not quite 40 be stressed about breast cancer you may ask? Is it, perhaps, because she is facing what should be her first, baseline mamogram?

Nope. In fact, I will never have a baseline mamo. Why not? I mean, you know me - I stress about so much, wouldn't it be logical that I would make sure that I have a baseline mamo to make sure there is nothing wrong?

Sure, I would have LOVED to have a simple baseline mamo when I was 40. That would have been so much better than having my first mamo when I was 27 and then having my first lumpectomy when I was 34. Yeah - that would have been nice.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but its true. My first lump was found when I was 27. I was lucky - it wasn't cancer. However, the lumps found in my breast (mostly the right one) over the years have sent me back for at least 3 more mamos and one surgery. The good news is that none of them have been cancer. I have fibroids - which we have been told may mean that I actually have a somewhat lower chance of having breast cancer. Even still - I have a 1 in 9 chance of having it. Slightly higher because my grandmother had it even if the fibroids make it lower. That just means that everything evens out.

Now the next question. Why am I pre-occupied with breast cancer on Valentine's Day? I am sure there are about a million other things I could write about today other than making sure you feel yourself up once a month. (Sorry for the crudeness - but DO IT!) But then again, what better day to remind you to show yourself a little bit of love - or have your S.O. do it. And if you are in your mid-thirties, start asking your doctor about that baseline mamo. I am proof that lumps do not discriminate by age. I know far too many people who are proof that cancer really doesn't discriminate.

There is one more thing you can do - you can support the people who work every day to make this horrible disease vanish. In 1998, Avon started a fundraising walk called the Avon Breast Cancer 3-Day and I had the honor of walking four times in three cities. This, however, is a tale for another day. Today, after a bit of revision, Avon still has a fundraising walk which is now called the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.

Someone I know is walking this year and I am sure she would love your help in raising the $1800 minimum. As of my last check, Alison had raised $812, so she only has $1000 more to go. This year it may seem more difficult than last to give anything, but even $5.00 goes a long way in a battle of this magnitude. You can click on the title of this post to find out more about Alison and why she is walking, or you can click here -
http://tinyurl.com/c4rb7f.

I hope you will take a few minutes and read both our stories and donate what you can, even if its pocket change. Every cent makes a difference.

Thank you for letting me stand on one of my many soap boxes tonight.

No comments: