Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Voice of Angels

By now, unless you live under a rock or work 13 hours a day (one of those was me until today) you have heard of a frumpy (kind) woman who's voice is that of an angel.

Her name is Susan Boyle and the song she sang, "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserables, fits what little of her story that has been needled out of her home village in northeast Scotland.  Her demeanor, her manner of dress and her hair all spoke "really small town, no mirror."  Yes, I will admit to being one of the people who took one look and said "I hope this isn't another William Hung."

Wow was I surprised.

At her first note the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end.  By the end of the second stanza I was in tears.  By the end of the song I was wishing I had been there to see it live as so many iterations of recording and compression had for sure made a dent in the quality of her voice.  If recorded could make chills run through my body what would live have done?  

Susan Boyle is an inspiration to anyone who has ever had a dream and thought they weren't good enough for it.  She got her answer - of course you are.  For me, its my writing and my photography.  Because of Susan's incredibly brave performance, I am pushing forward a little harder now on my rewrites.  I will be sending my book out as soon as I can.  As for the photography - I might need a little bit more of a push, but I would love to have a show that I could invite my friends and family to - and not just on the internet, but live.  That would be fun.  We'll see.

What I thought was most amazing about Susan Boyle was this.  She lived her dream.  She wowed a large audience with her voice.  And whether it was nerves or being lost in the song or just understanding she had lived her dream - she let the last notes die and promptly began to walk with dignity off the stage, forgetting altogether that there was this other small piece called Judging that she was supposed to go through.  I think she would have been happy with the full house standing ovation in the large auditorium in Glasgow.  The three "Yes" votes were just icing on the cake.

Bully for you, Susan!

No comments: