Thursday, May 28, 2009

Farmer Lia

For some reason I got it into my head this year that I wanted to save money by growing veggies.  Me.  The person with the black thumb.  Yeah.  Right!

There are reasons I have always wanted to live on a tree farm/wooded lot.  I am allergic to most things green including grass, ash trees, mold and mildew and everything I try to grow tends to die a horrid and painful death.  

At least until a few years ago anyway.  For some reason the plants I got after one of my surgeries during my 4 years of surgeries actually lived.  Then an African violet lived.  And then some ivy and some other strange plants that I don't know the names of.  With the proof that not every living thing I touch dies I decided to try my hand at veggies.

That decision led to a trip to the nursery this past weekend where we purchased 2 poly containers, 6 bags of potting soil, a tomato plant, a squash plant, onions, two types of basil, lemon thyme and tarragon.  We whisked them home where we hurriedly potted all the plants only seconds before rain started.  Yay!

We didn't expect a monsoon!

And flooded containers with floating onions.

Whoops!

Thus were born the garbage bag umbrellas which now shelter the two delicate containers of our mid-summer veggies and believe it or not they seem to be working!  Somehow they have grown significantly since Saturday which is good because I am so looking forward to having fresh tomatoes and squash flavored with basil or tasty chicken seasoned with lemon thyme.

Yum!

1 comment:

Seraphine said...

i don't know. by the time you buy the soil and the pots and the plants, i don't think you really save that much unless you do a BIG garden with seeds and all.
but but but...
ohh there is nothing like fresh vegetables. especially fresh tomatoes.
i only wish i could grow bananas and papayas and pineapples too.