Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Oh my dear Lord!

I don't really repost - I link sometimes, but never an out and out repost.  This time, however, I feel the writer of the post I am about to quote hit the nail on the head.

You see - there is this new show that is being pushed, in the absolute drug on the elementary school playground sense, by Nick Jr.  Pushed so hard it has found homes for its promos on Noggin - so not only is it going for the preschool set, it is going for the pre-preschool set.  Disclaimer - for those of you who don't know, I worked at one point a LONG time ago for MTV which is part of Viacom, parent company of all the Nickelodeon channels.  Nickelodeon learned its programming techniques from MTV - pay for a show once and use it OFTEN on every channel you own.

So - what is this show?  It's called The Jumparounds and is about a fictional band of high school students who are syrupy, saccharine, and act as though the sun is always shining even when there is a flood rising around them.  So far the worst thing I have seen happen in the promos is they get their backpacks mixed up.  (Oh heavens!)  So - does this sound like any other franchise created by a Hollywood company to go after the under 12 (but really under 5) set?  HSM anyone?  

I have attached a link to the original post in the title and here it is in its entirety below.  Note - I agree with everything she says.  Including the fact that Yo Gabba Gabba creeps me out.  Folks - I lived and breathed Hollywood and all things entertainment for at least 12 years and the first thing I said when I saw Yo Gabba Gabba was "That show was written by someone on X."  I think someone was even more high, or in a marketing meeting, for The Jumparounds.  UGH!

The JumpArounds: HSM for The Preschool Set

Posted by Amy Kuras

Who are The JumpArounds? You probably will know that all too well very soon.

The JumpArounds are a fictional band which Nickelodeon is basing a new summer series around. There’s Shout. Marina, Kiki, and Twist (Twist and Shout are males), who apparently go around uttering phrases like “hip hop and pop!” or “Cool beans!” when they are happy about something. 

The press release from Nickelodeon calls it this: “…a new, original live-action comedy series that teaches preschoolers about music appreciation and how to express their feelings and emotions through movement, song and instrumental music.  Set to original pop songs, the 20-episode half-hour series also introduces kids to the fundamentals of music such as melody, rhythm, tempo and performance styles.”

I call it grating. Watching the relentlessly upbeat, chipper videos, all I could think was “Seriously? They got rid of “Jack’s Big Music Show” for this?

But actually, I think it’s not aimed at all at the little kids who loved Jack’s. No, I think it’s directed right at the somewhat older kids whose parents let them watch “High School Musical” and whatever other similar stuff is getting churned out of the Disney factory. 

Those movies are, really, way too old for the kindergarteners and even preschoolers who I know watch it, but the JumpArounds are the same boppy choreography and wholesome, insipid music as those franchises but aimed at the little-kid set. 

It’s enough to make me turn to Yo Gabba Gabba, really. And Yo Gabba Gabba creeps me out.  

No comments: