Monday, May 31, 2010

Too much to be too angry about...

For the first time in about 42 days I have not been able to rely on the front page of CNN or MSNBC to tell me exactly how horrifically BP has destroyed the Gulf of Mexico. They, in fact, have much bigger fish to fry as it is now hurricane season and Guatemala was just hit with a whopper. If you don't know what I am talking about, check this article out. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/. You will see the largest sink hole I have seen, this one in Guatemala.

I have to be honest. The spill in the Gulf disgusts me, it saddens me, it angers me and then, on top of everything, it makes me put a mirror in front of my face, pushes me towards my two SUVs (one small, one so not) and asks me to continue to rationalize my vehicle choice in this day and age of horrific energy choices.

Let's be honest here. No one who reads my blog is directly at fault for the disaster in the Gulf. Not one of us was standing on the rig when the discussions about procedures and arguments about shortcuts occurred. None of us was aware that any of these discussions went on. Our first inkling that something was wrong was the explosion that killed 11 humans and uncounted numbers of animals, birds or fish.

This summer, I will be heading down to New Orleans to visit friends. This visit was scheduled before the BP disaster, so I just get that as an extra. I will be bringing my camera and will see what I can do about bringing in some pictures from the spill. Or maybe I will try to go help some of the animals who can be saved.

Regardless - look for something by the middle of the month (June) to see if there is anything to see.

Meanwhile, hopefully we will be able to say that the oil is capped sooner rather than later.

Here's hoping.

No comments: