Wednesday, October 20, 2010

NaNoWriMo Countdown: T -12 Days

For those of you who know me well, you know I have pretty much always classified myself as a writer. Short stories, poems, news articles, feature articles, essays, even major have poured out of my fingers for pretty much my entire life. (OK - maybe not those first 5 years when I didn't know how to write just yet, but you know what I mean. But it wasn't until I discovered NaNoWriMo that I was able to complete something longer than 4000 words.

Strange name, but what the heck is NaNoWriMo anyway? NaNoWriMo translates to National Novel Writing Month, aka Month of Chaos and Craziness. For the uninitiated, it pretty much looks insane. I mean, come on - who in their right mind would actually VOLUNTEER to churn out 50,000 words in 30 days, especially when those 30 days include a major 4 day holiday weekend that demands socializing? As an English major may I remind you that there are seemingly very few sane writers? This is a profession that boasts such luminaries as Ernest Hemingway, Virginia Woolf, Sylvia Plath, Hunter Thomas and any number of other folks who obviously didn't see the world the same way as most of their neighbors and unfortunately suffered for that mere fact.

But that's just it, isn't it? We writers see the world through different eyes. It isn't that we're crazy - just different. In my opinion, there are far more sane writers than insane and I have been very lucky to meet quite a few of them. In fact, not only did NaNoWriMo allow me to finally reach my long standing goal of writing a full length novel, it has introduced me to some incredible fellow authors who's vision of their world just amazes me. Whether it is the world we all share or a world they have created, their stories have inspired me and I hope my do the same for them.

So, what am I doing now? Well, procrastinating actually. I know what I am writing this year, and I have a pretty good idea of how to start it. In fact this year I have a brain teeming with ideas for books. Three of them - the one I am writing for sure, the one I might start as I am writing the focus for this year and a third that I hope my father will write with me. (Novel based on our family ala Kenneth Follet/Edward Rutherford - he's got a lot of the family stories in his head thus I need him for research.) The only issue - there are three books, I need to make sure I don't get too overwhelmed so I should probably write the concepts down and separate them out rather than have the world walking novel cross into the dystopian novel cross into the family epic about a Southern Jewish family. What a mess that would be!

Oh - and I don't have a title for this year's novel. Have the basic plot but no title. Hopefully I will be able to rectify that in the next day or so.

Between working on a title, writing down the different book ideas and creating my NaNoWriMo playlist, which do you think has gotten the most attention? Yep, the playlist. :-) Here is a taste:

If I Die Young - The Band Perry
Nothing Else Matters - Apocalyptica
One - Apocalyptica
The Unforgiven - Apocalyptica
Pinch Me - Barenaked Ladies
Friend of the Devil - Counting Crows
Southern Cross - CS&N
September - Daughtry (along with the rest of the new album)
When the Music's Not Forgotten - Deadmen
You Found Me - The Fray
Sweet Alys - Grace Buford
All Along the Watchtower - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
He Went To Paris - Jimmy Buffett
Sounds of Silence - Grace Buford
The Boys of Fall - Kenny Chesney
Gaudete - Mediaeval Baebes
Blackbird - Sarah McLachlan
Shiva Shankara - Sean Johnson and the Wild Lotus Band
Hey, Soul Sister - Train
Broken Bottles - Sons of Bill

Yeah, I seem to be all over the place - but I think it will work to help me create the worlds my characters will walk between this year.

Keep your eyes open starting November 1 for two things - my word count and my plea for $$ to help the Office of Letters and Light (the group that brings us NaNoWriMo every year) continue their main purpose of bringing writing programs to schools. You can't donate in my name until November 1 and I'm gunning for $2500 fundraising level. (OK - I know I will have a hard time raising that kind of $$ in one month, but they can use it!)

Believe me, by December you will be happy NaNoWriMo is over since I will have been talking about it FAR too much. I know my family will be happy to have my mostly undivided attention again as of December 1. :-) But until then - bring on the words. I have to find at least 50,000 of them.

(And for those counting or curious - this blog has 866 and was written in about an hour. Not bad, huh?)

1 comment:

tospinayarn said...

It's so strange that we haven't been friends for a whole year yet. Sometime in the middle of next month that all changes! I can't wait to do it again. :D