Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Another NaNo Done...

Today is December 1 which means that this year's National Novel Writing Month ended at 11:59 PM last night. And the book? Well, I finished the book at 11:00 AM on 11/29/2010 with one of the strongest scenes in the novel so far. I knew it was the ending as I was about half-way through the scene and realized that perhaps this book is not as bad a story and I thought when slogging through it. In other words - I remembered why I started writing it to begin with more than a year ago. Yeah, I know - NaNo is supposed to be about the story you didn't think of before you started writing on November 1 not the story you started last November 1 and then realized you hadn't finished when you thought you did.

Or is it?

For me NaNo has become the way I am most productive in my writing. This year, hopefully, it has kickstarted me into writing every day and realizing that I can actually write about 2200 words a day without too much of a stretch as long as I don't burn out by not taking any breaks. More lessons from NaNo 2010 will be posted soon, but first a word from our sponsors - NaNo stats!

I was told about the NaNo report card this year and used it with great success. It helped me keep on track and figure out how quickly I would reach my goal of 50,000 words on a sustained story. Truth be told, as I found out during the five years I walked for the Avon Breast Cancer 3-Day, you actually end up writing far more than the 50K by writing emails, blog posts, forum responses, Tweets and Facebook status updates. I didn't count those extraneous words so I have no idea the total number of words for November - just those in the book. Here are this year's stats:

* 53,060 words, 231 pages and 32 chapters
* 47.50 hours spent on writing
* 1.64 average hours a day
* 1830 average words a day
* 23 days of writing total
* 6 days under the suggested average of 1667 words
* Of those 6, 4 were under 1000 words
* 3 days of words between 1667-2000
* 10 days of words between 2000-3000
* 2 days of words between 3000-4000
* 1 day of over 7000 words
* Average Morale - 5.4 (out of 10)

In other words - I am getting better at this every year and I will keep getting better at it the more I write. As of now, this is my second job and is headed back to that slot. My first job is being a mom (and wife) of course. Every November I get to make writing novels my first job with the support of my family. Hopefully I will get paid for this second job one day. Until then I will just keep writing, continue to edit, keep my morale at a 5.4 or higher and send out those queries.

Until then - Hi Ho, Hi Ho - it's off to my writing space I go.

No comments: