Monday, December 6, 2010

Creation

Oh, I am going to like today's prompt from Reverb 10. It is all about creation, making things. Here's the prompt:

"Make. What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?"

I am a creator. I create words on a page (or screen). I create food when I can. I create stories. I create photos. I create knitted items to wear. So here is what I have created recently.

* A 50,000 novel. OK, it's half of the one I wrote last year and I am now getting ready to combine them.

* A chicken dinner for my family.

* Photos of the neighbor's yard during the fall.

* A neck scarf without end, a.k.a. a cowl. And now I am working on a new project which may be a holiday present so no descriptions here.

The knitting is probably the one thing I create that is tangent, useful, obvious to all around me. I'm still a bit of a newbie - hats, scarves and cowls. I am making something of my own design right now, but it's still a scarf in a sense.

What I want to learn to make are sweaters, socks and all sorts of useful pieces of clothing. I also want to learn to felt and felt a purse or two.

I will get there. I have a fantastic book to guide me through the language of knitters where KO means knit over and not knock out. "The Knitting Answer Book". It has been fantastically useful in this pursuit.

I also want to make a quilt. I need to learn to sew and cut a straight line, but maybe by the time he goes to college he will have a quilt as his father did from his mother. It would be nice.

But to make - that is a great joy. You imagine it, you craft it, you create it. And then you let it loose into the world where it needs to go.

2 comments:

The Septic Tank Blog said...

I have really enjoyed this blog. Keep up the good work. The Septic Tank Man

Lisa said...

Thank you! I appreciate your stopping by!