Thursday, December 2, 2010

Reverb 10 - Reflection and Manifesting

I found a new site last night as I surfed during my hours of insomnia. It's called Reverb 10 and was put together by a bloggers named Gwen Bell, Kaileen Elise and Caligater. If I remember correctly, I saw this last year but not until December was almost over so I didn't join in.

This year I found it early and here we go!

The idea of Reverb 10 is that you are given prompts every day from which to write your blog post. Then you share it with the rest of the Reverb community and with your own community of readers. Each prompt is designed to help you reflect on 2010 and manifest what you think 2011 will be like for you. Easy enough concept, but hopefully a mindful result. I know I most probably will not be doing the full month for two reasons:

1) NaNoWriMo just finished and my fingers/brain are a bit tired.
2) We are heading to Disney World for a few days of fun, family and sun (we hope).

But until then, here are today's prompts.

"December 1 One Word.
Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?
(Author: Gwen Bell)

December 2 Writing.
What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?
(Author: Leo Babauta)"

December 1. One Word - Challenge.

For those who don't know, I was involved in a lawsuit this year. It started in August of 2009 and finished in August 2010. Good news - it ended in my favor and my now former employer is supportive of the new path so it ended on a positive note for everyone. Bad news, it ate up a chunk of the year, my energy and my family's resources. I was the plaintiff, it was work related and involved my disability. In other words it was a challenge. Add to that dealing with fibromyalgia, my father's heart surgery, my husband's extreme travel schedule, my son's speech issues and you have a year that just screams "CHALLENGE!"

Next year will be a challenge as well, but for other reasons. My son is doing so much better with his speech and is meeting new challenges daily and may start public school in the fall of 2011. My husband is not travelling as much and has been a wonderful support. And I still, daily, have to work with my illness. (Today being a day of bed. ugh.) But, I am challenging myself to get better. I am challenging myself to write full time and even try to find a way to be published. I see wonderful challenges for our family coming this year and I think we are stronger than ever and even better equipped to face those challenges.

So, definitely Challenge.

December 2. What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?

Laundry. Definitely laundry. But we need clean clothes.

No, cooking. Wait - my husband does that most of the time.

Errands. Yep, errands. But then I would lose those wonderful people watching opportunities.

You see, I write fiction. Yes, I write a blog as well, but mostly I write fiction and I was taught a long time ago that every thing we do, everything we see, taste, experience - in other words our whole lives - contribute to our writing. The only thing we do that doesn't contribute is not writing. And writing does't just mean putting pen to page, but also editing, rereading what we've written and making it better.

So, I can eliminate not writing by writing every day. Starting tomorrow I will be working on combining my novel project (two sections, multiple combo points) and starting work on a new piece. I am looking forward to it. I won't get a lot of time each day, but I will get some to dedicate to my new endeavors.

Challenge and time.

Both good things to work with over the next year.

1 comment:

debi said...

I like that you made challenge for 2011 a more positive challenge than was for 2010. :) Good for you to challenge yourself!!