Friday, January 28, 2011

This is the snow I like.

If the thundersnow from two nights ago was my least favorite kind (you know, the kind that kicks off your power for 26 hours?) then today's gentle snowfall has to be my favorite kind.

When the snow just drifts down, either lazily or with purpose, against a background of the white snow and brown bark of the trees, you get a sense of winter. A good winter filled with sledding, tromping in snow shoes (which I might just buy after all this snow) and skiing. Thundersnow, on the other hand, brings with it images of all things deadly about snow.

Gentle snow makes me want to cook a chicken in the oven with warm, hearty winter squash on the side.

Thudersnow makes me want to crawl under the covers and hide. But then there is that no power issue. Oh so not fun.

Either way, once the storm passes, all that is left is the shoveling, the tromping and the sledding.

And don't forget the hot chocolate afterwards.

No comments: