Monday, February 21, 2011

It's been awhile

Well, it's been awhile since my last post where I inadvertently seem to have caused some concern for Mr. Piers Anthony and his well being. So let me get this out of the way, please.

As of the last update on the Wikipedia site on Piers Anthony, he is alive, well and living on his tree farm in Florida. You can check it out on this like here.

Now that is out of the way, it has also been awhile since I've given an update on the book front. Here we go!

Book 1: NOLA Bound

Things are moving along here a little slowly. At last check I had been rejected by enough agents to start a file, but not enough to paper the bathroom yet. I had a cousin/former editor known for her bleeding pages to see what she saw. If it was too extreme I would ignore it. However, if there were real issues, I planed on editing based on what she saw.

I got back a rather negative feeling of the first 30 pages so I am revamping away. Which is a good thing as I may have a contact who knows some people who might know some people...you know the drill. We'll see - I am taking that one slow. More information than my slug line has been requested which I am taking as a good sign. We'll know more in March or April.

Book 2: Her Sister's Gem

The book has been combined - as in the two halves are now a whole. WOW is it a lot of words! I think I had a post on that somewhere earlier. (Somewhere north of 100,000 words written for this particular piece.

Needless to say - I am editing, a lot. I am on page 75 I think on line edits. The goal is to have the whole book hand edited by March sometime so I can have the edits in the document by the end of April. I should be able to do that even with losing the last week of March and the first week of April, right? OK - as long as it is done by the last week in May we're golden.

Book 3: Untitled NOLA Dystopian Project

Still no name here. Again, the theme is sisters. In this case the story takes us to New Orleans as it could be 150 years from now. New Orleans the City on the Hill; the US is no more but has disintegrated into strange conglomerations based on either religious affiliation, politics, ethnic background or just plain don't like your neighbors. But the stretch of river that divides us from Chicago in the North to New Orleans in the South has become the new Switzerland. Add to that somewhere between 2 and 4 sisters, their mother and a coffee shop and you have a whole new story, right?

Where am I on this one? I have the basic idea behind why the prodigal daughter returns, what she is after and how she achieves this feat. And why her sibling(s) doesn't(don't) hate her for it.

Still thinking of a title, but it will come as I write. I am sure of it. I do know, however, that this book is starting to come together in my head as I am already setting up the writing playlist. I can't do one without the other.

It's been interesting, trying to get into the flow of being a full-time writer even if I am not getting payed for it at all just yet. I am most able to work between the hours of 9-12, unless it's editing then no time is good - I just force myself. I would like to see a show of hands of writers who actually enjoy editing their own product. Please?

That's it for now. Sorry this post leaned more towards the business side of my life than the other interesting tidbits you get from me every now and then. I promise to write more soon!

No comments: