Tuesday, March 1, 2011

How Groups are Good

I've helped start a writers group in my area. It started rather organically under completely non-organic circumstances. I mean, who can call November organic?

For those of you who haven't read my blog during the overly exciting month that is November you probably do not know the other name for that month - National Novel Writing Month, a.k.a NaNoWriMo, a.k.a. the month from...you get the idea. Don't get me wrong, I love writing during November. It is stressful but it is also exciting, moving, and usually a blur. I get to meet all types of new and interesting characters I never thought of during my planning months, see all manner of new things and places and, beyond all else, I get to actually accomplish writing a book.

The whole point of NaNoWriMo for me is to give me a deadline. Without one all the various things that have to get done in a day from grocery shopping to paying bills to following around my 3'10" monkey (also known as Small Boy, at least for a little while longer) take over the space I tried to insert for writing. Then this year I was asked by the volunteer coordinator for NaNoWriMo in my area if I would put together a writing group for NaNoWriMo. Just once a week, meaning just four meetings, nothing big. I could do that and was more than happy to help her so I did.

May I just say - THANK YOU, JULES!

You see, that NaNo group that had just one other member besides me and Jules, has become a fantastic group of now six to seven women who all write and want to write every day. I did not intentionally select the members - I didn't necessarily think of the group really growing until it accidentally and wonderfully did. Gotta love mis-scheduling meetings to overlap at the same Starbucks, hunh? Amazing how the preschool meeting and the writers group meeting became one meeting and now...

We have a larger writers group!

So, other than the fact that this means I will actually have human contact for my writing time why am I extolling the fact that there is now a writing group in my life?

Because now I have weekly deadlines and goals! We may be a bit more relaxed that some writing groups (so far no signed agreements or written rules, just organically feeling our way at the moment) but the one thing we do have is weekly goals which will help me make the transition from just writing every November to writing full time.

Which is just what I want to do as my second job.

The first one being chasing that monkey. :-)

No comments: