Sunday, October 23, 2011

Future Dreams

Today was a banner day.  No, it really was.

First you should know that we all have colds, or are fighting them, so we decided that a low key day (a.k.a Pajama Day) was in order.  It lasted until we left for dinner and was wonderful for all of us.  We sat around, didn't do too much that "needed" to be done and chatted about nonsense and new topics.

This is unique in my house - not because we don't communicate but because until recently one of us was literally incapable of having a conversation.  You see - my son has dyspraxia, also known as apraxia.  His form of dyspraxia is such that it affects the muscles in his mouth and then his hand, but we noticed the mouth first as his speech was incredibly slow.

We started with private speech therapy when he was about 2 1/2 and have continued speech then added Occupational therapy to the mix of private preschool and public preschool.  The longest conversation I have ever had with my son before today was about 3-4 sentences and it was amazing.

But today, today was an amazing kicker.  Today my son told us he wants to be the next director for Transformers 4.  Yep - he wants to make sure there is a lot of action in the movie.

As someone who has worked on TV productions and observed Movie productions, I actually know what my son is in for if he settles on this as a career.  We are dedicating ourselves to try to get most, if not all, of the money needed at USC Film School, if that is where he wants to go.

Yes, it's a little dorky, and I am going a little overboard temporarily.  But today I got to do something that most parents with a 5 year old take for granted.  I got to talk with him about what he wants to be when he grows up.

And wow is it amazing.

No comments: