Sunday, October 30, 2011

Writing By the Seat of My Pants

It's that time of year again.  The time of year where my brain goes into overdrive and words fly out of my fingers as quickly as possible.  Hopefully at least 1667 words a day will find their way into my computer and more specifically into my new novel.

So, what exactly is this time of year?  November.

You see, every November hundreds of thousands of aspiring novelists dredge up their aspiring novels and commit to commit them to paper as part of an incredibly large creative writing project known as National Novel Writing Month, a.k.a - NaNoWriMo.  The "National" aspect is a bit inaccurate as these days NaNo participants can be found in over 45 countries and several continents, including Antartica, but as it was started here NaNoWriMo has stuck.

There are two parts to NaNoWriMo.  The first is the commitment to write a 50K word novel within 30 days (including Thanksgiving weekend and Vetrans day, btw.)  The novel does not have to be good - just 50,000 unique words.  No writing the word "the" 50K times, now.

The second part of the exercise is to raise money for the non-profit that has been running this nutty program since it's inception - The Office of Letters and Lights.  You see, while they may have been running the show for more than 10 years, they have not always been a non-profit.  For awhile there they weren't anything other than a guy and a few of his friends writing novels in November.  Now they are a non-profit that works with schools to develop creative writing programs, known as the Young Writers Program, sending out kit after kit to teachers who want to introduce their students to creative novel writing.  Did I mention the kits are free?

So, in essence this creative writing exercise that will create billions of words each November is really a fundraiser to help bring creative writing to schools.  OK - I can deal with that.

As you can see from the left hand side of this page (go to http://www.liadona.com if you are on Mobile or RSS, please) I am doing a fundraiser.  Please consider donating something to the cause.  It will not go to a wasted source.  Besides being tax deductible, your donation will help writers attend write-ins (because they will exist); continue the Municipal Liaison program to ensure we have someone to look up to in our local areas;  allow the website to be up, running and usually helpful; and finally, most importantly, it will help teachers bring the art of writing to their classrooms.  If it weren't for writing teachers like my grandmother I can think of many children then who are now adults who would never have written a story in their lives.

If you haven't figured it out yet, this is a plea.  Please donate to this cause.  Please donate in support of me.  Please just donate.  Each donation helps the Office of Letters and Light create a fun, creative, thriving environment for writers of all ages, shapes and creative power.  You can donate directly from this page using the widget on the left of this page or you can link to my donation page by going to http://www.stayclassy.org/fundraise?fcid=158476

What will you, my donor, get out of it?  Well, one day I fully intend on becoming a member of the increasingly rare breed - a published book author with a paper book.  When that happens, I can promise you that I will autograph your copy.  Or, if you own the eBook and that lovely e-Book pen that signs these books has come out by then - I will sign electronically.  In the meanwhile, my heartfelt thanks is all I can offer.  That, and an invitation to watch me slowly go crazy throughout November as I attempt to reach 50,000 words written by November 30.

Thank you very much in advance for your support and for sending this blog as far as you can.

Updates on my progress and my novel can be found here on this blog and on my NaNoWroMo profile.

Thank you again!

No comments: