Friday, November 25, 2011

One More Plea for NaNoWriMo fundraising

I know...it's the day after Thanksgiving.  Some of you spent your brains out today...some of you did not.  I am in the did not category.  Instead, I wrote more than 3000 words on my latest novel.  It's good.  It's really good.  And it would not be written if it weren't for two things.

1) My first creative writing teacher Anne Bobrow Berg, aka Nana.  No, really - my grandmother was an elementary school teacher at Henry School in Philadelphia.  During her tenure there (she had to retire at 65) she ran a creative writing program after school.  Students in grades 4-8 were able to come and write to their hearts content.  In 1977 or 1978 my family came home from Germany for a few weeks.  I missed quite a bit of school during that time so I was essentially home schooled.  Except for the afternoons when my mother dropped me off at Henry School and I got to be a part of my grandmother's creative writing class even though I was much too young.  It was a blast and I was hooked.  I am still writing today and every word I write is dedicated to her.

2) NaNoWriMo.  Yep, my Nana taught me the love of storycrafting, but if it weren't for NaNoWriMo I would never have finished a novel or known I could even though this is what I want to do to earn a check one day.

Thing is, NaNoWriMo is in a bit of financial trouble, just like the rest of us these days.  Please read the letter from Chris Baty I am shamelessly copying below, read about the Office of Letters and Light here, and then donate to my campaign for them HERE.  Boy would I love to say that enough of my friends, family and readers wanted to help the OLL on their mission to make sure that teachers like my Nana have the tools they need to inspire the next several generations of writers find their bliss that I was able to raise at least $100.  (I'm almost there - just need $15 more.)

I promise that someday soon you will see some of what I can do with fiction.  Really, you will.  (More to come on this in the near future.)

Thank you for listening.  Now for the copied letter from Chris Baty and the Office of Letters and Light.

*********************


Dear NaNoWriMo Writer,

Happy final weekend of NaNoWriMo to you!

We've been so proud to inspire and encourage 300,000 kids, teens, and adults this year through National Novel Writing Month and NaNoWriMo's free, classroom-based Young Writers Program. Both programs have seen a record turnout this fall, which makes us ridiculously happy.

Together, the two programs cost nearly $1,000,000 to organize. Thanks to the generosity of our donors and our handsomely attired OLL store shoppers, we've raised 60% of that amount already. We need your help to raise the remaining $400,000.

Our grassroots fundraising model means the future of our programs always rests in the hands of our participants. (It also means I end up bothering you with more of these fundraising appeals than I'd like.) But we've built our entire organization on the faith that the writers who get something out of our programs will give something back.
If you believe in our nonprofit creative writing adventure, please make a small donation today to keep it going. We're facing the largest funding gap we've ever had at this point in November, and we would love your support today to bring NaNoWriMo and the YWP back in 2012.

Thank you so much! 

Warm regards,

Chris
Executive Director
The Office of Letters and Light
The tiny-but-mighty parent nonprofit of NaNoWriMo and the Young Writers Program
Watch us in animated form! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miBhmLA62O4

No comments: