Saturday, December 24, 2011

It's about to get REALLY fun...

So much has gone on with this family and the world this year that I am beginning to hope that 2012 is the beginning of good things to come and not the end of the world as the Mayan calendar knows it.

To start these good things - the holiday season.  I say it like that not to tick off any of the rabid holiday specific folks out there but rather to be inclusive.  There are multiple holidays out there - Hanukkah, Christmas, Yule, Kwanza, Festivus (ok - created by a TV show but still celebrated), New Year's, Eid just to name a few.  And, for the most part, each of them focuses on one thing - it's dark so let's bring on some light.

Here in Nutshell Central we are developing a new tradition to go with the rest of the traditions we have going on.  Between Hanukkah and Christmas we have quite a few.  Add in Yule when I actually remember....and you get the idea.  Hanukkah in our house involves as many chanukiah as my son will allow me to light, one new present (a book) a night and that's pretty much it.  We save our big guns for Christmas.

My husband is not Jewish, he is not much of anything, so we decided to go with the Pagan version of Christmas - you know, tree, lights, presents, families together - and forget the part about Church.  While I respect Church, I am Jewish with a 5 year old.  I don't want to confuse him TOO much.  Anyway, we have the tree up, the presents mostly wrapped and now I am creating something new.

You see - Santa is creating an annex for last minute gift wrapping in the house.  Our guest room has been guarded by our plush Elf on a Shelf for about a week now.  Tonight, Maury (our Jewish elf) is leaving a note with 1 present (Lego winter village) outside a door that will be decorated in glitter and snow carrying a sign that says "Santa's Workshop."

Not quite Elf on a Shelf, but something to remember Christmas by, right?

Enjoy your holidays if I don't talk to you until after the holiday.

May you holidays be bright and your New Year be merry for you and your family.

Lisa
aka - Liadona

No comments: