Friday, May 11, 2012

Happy Mother's Day to me...

For those of you who are lucky enough to have a little one in your life you know that you will probably be joyfully wearing a piece of hand made jewelry that wouldn't normally make it through your discerning fingers at a swap meet or hanging a picture on the wall/fridge that would probably be aimed at the trashcan if it weren't for the fact that your little one made it for you.

Not only that - made it for Mother's Day.  How amazingly special.

For all you teachers out there who have worked hard this week ensuring that we mom's know we are appreciated, thank you.  I love my "Oh No, Mr. (smiling) Bill"pin with all my heart - but please don't be offended if I don't wear it to a fancy restaurant.  It wasn't, however, the pin and the pinch-pot jewelry container that have made this the best Mother's Day yet.  It's still Friday and I already know this is a Mother's Day to beat all Mother's Days.

It's the card.

It's a simple card, fill in the blank with the words written by the teacher.  But the words are my son's own and they are heartfelt, sweet and describe me the way I have always wanted to be described.  For being able to get that on paper for me you teachers get a gold star.

For those of you who know me, who've read this blog or my FB page or just plain know me - you have probably heard me ranting and raving about the issues we seem to constantly face.  My son didn't even say "Mama" until he was 3.  Didn't say a full sentence until he the summer he turned 4 - it was "Wake up, Mama" for those of you keeping score.  He is dyspraxic - also known as apraxia - and has issues with fine motor skills like talking, writing, walking a straight line.

Recently my husband, our educational consultant, and I have been working hard to ensure he has what he needs in school next year when he goes to Kindergarten.  Personally, I have been so focused on the outcome that I have not taken the time to participate in the now.  I skipped a field trip to stay at home and write up concerns I have about how the school system is handling his case.  I fall asleep at 3:30 or 4 in the afternoon because the stress is just so much.  It's been hard, and I have kept my eye on the prize, but sometimes I wonder if I am leaving the real prize behind as I strive for the one ahead of us.  The prize where he goes on to college on a scholarship and does his best to overcome all the issues he has had.

Today my son soundly told me to stop beating myself up.

He didn't realize he was doing it, but he did.  My son told me in no uncertain terms that I am his Mommy-Mama and that he sees me for exactly who I am and it was beautiful.  Yes, the list describing us was guided, but it was pretty open to the child's interpretation as well.  Here is what he said (his words are in ()'s):

"These are all the things I love about Mommy.

Mommy and I love to play (with blocks) together.

Mommy cooks the best (mac and cheese)

Mommy is smart because she can (cook stuff.  My mom made challah!)

Mommy likes to go (with me.).

Mommy looks pretty when (she makes flowers.)

Mommy always says ("time to get up!")

The thing I love best about my Mommy is (that she "dos" everything.)"

So all the bedtime fights, all the problems getting out the door in the morning, all the issues with eating his carrots...none of those mean anything right now.  I "dos" everything, look pretty in flowers and I like to go with my son.

What an amazing little boy.

Happy Mother's Day, everyone!

1 comment:

Jet Li said...

The perfect!These articles written too great,they rich contents and data accurately.they are help to me.I expect to see your new share.
-----------------
WOW Gold RS Gold Cheap WOW Gold