Tuesday, August 20, 2013

What Did You Do On Your Summer Break?

Yes, it is that time of year. Bouquets of newly sharpened pencils are showing up in backpacks everywhere, and mothers are sighing great sighs of relief that they are no longer fully responsible for determining the plan for every day. I know, I need to cherish the summers - we will only be blessed with nineteen more summers with our son if we are lucky. But that fact did not make this summer any easier.

I am convinced that when we make large plans, G-d or a higher power laughs at us. Just busts a gut laughing hysterically because that high power knows what's going to happen, and it's not the plan in question.

Let me clarify. This summer was supposed to be the summer of trips, short mini-breaks, and camps in between. We were hoping to start with NYC to perhaps catch a play in mid-late June, followed by a trip to Lansing, MI to visit family for the 4th of July, then a hope down the following weekend to visit family for a cousin's first birthday. After this opening salvo we would have two weeks of Sportster Camp through our community. This is a two week camp and introduced our son to quite a few different sports and games - he loved it. 

Next came a trip to FL for a certain birthday (7) boy who LOVES visiting Epcot and Remi the Rat who is now cooking in Chefs de France. And then the piece de resistance for the summer - a weekend on the family island for my husband and son. I was to be left behind to figure it out on my own.

This summer so hasn't turned out this way.

New York was cancelled because we couldn't find appropriate tickets.

The 4th in Lansing was canceled because the doctor would not allow me to be in a car for 20 hours in a short weekend. It seems the numbness in my right foot and pain in my back from being dragged down a hill was indeed something to be concerned about. Still is, and still working on finding the correct doctor. Fun Times.

Albuquerque happened, but I sprained my ankle further while we was there. Yes, the right ankle. so now I have numbness and a (finally healing) sprained ankle. 

Sportster camp went without a hitch. It was a hit! And his being away for those 3 hours a day helped me tremendously as I was able to get some writing done. Not nearly enough, but some. Phew!

But we missed the last two days of Sportster Camp, we missed for a very good reason. Around noon on August 1 we boarded a plane. By about 3:30 we were checked into The Wilderness Lodge settling in for 3 days and 3 nights of Disney Bliss for his birthday. That went very, very well.

But now we are up against the Island, and the beginning of my rant. You see - he has impetigo and a secondary (maybe primary) infection putting the stop sign up in front of my son. The trip has been postponed once and now may be cancelled all together if the new rash that showed up today becomes tricky. I am barely holding onto sanity right now. Adding on a second week? Not sure I can be responsible, right? 

Over all it's been a pretty neat summer. If you take away the illness, the injuries, the missed trips because of injuries and illnesses, and that awful bit where I got us to the incorrect airport for our first planes to Disney - it's been a really decent summer.

The best part has been reconnecting with friends from HS, both in person and online. It's been a great deal of fun and reminded me how we have to truly try to make the effort to get outside of our houses and meet up. It's worth a shot, anyway, right?

So, if I was still an English teacher and I gave myself this assignment, here is how I would start...

It began with a plan, one meant to be broken into a thousand pieces. And the way it ended, well the only way a summer like that can end - some pieces have been mended while others have skittered so far under the sofa we haven't figured out how to reach them. Now we just have to make the best of broken plates, and I'm sure we can figure that out soon!

How about you - how was your summer this year? Good, bad, indifferent, filled with chaos as ours was? Let's hear about it before you have to help your child write the essay!

No comments: